Saturday, April 21, 2012

I haven't studied, abroad

Abroad, according to my experience and observations, students don't in fact study. My classes are 85% silliness. Before the end of the semester, I want to record one of my professors speaking because his accent is so ridiculously strong that, when combined with his bumbling/ frazzled nature, it's all anyone can do to keep a straight face in his company.

Some of my teachers (I can't call them professors) grade harshly on the one assignment that does come up every once in awhile, however, which isn't fair. I think that one of my professors only gave Bs on the midterm because she wanted her course to appear challenging. Sorry this is starting to sound mean, but my point is, academics for me this semester = not too enriching.

This said, I love my internship. I haven't talked about that and it deserves attention. I work for the Rome Independent Film Festival. It is one of the best parts, certainly the most unique, of my time abroad.
It's a small office in a really nice part of Rome where everyone acts like family.
When I work during lunchtime, they either take me out to eat or the festival director cooks gnocchi for us all to eat around the kitchen table.
They're extremely patient with my Italian and encouraging in general. The women are all beautiful and kind and meet all of the positive stereotypes of a European/ Italian (i.e. they weigh less than the mounds pasta they inhale).
Going out to lunch with them makes me feel as out of place and simultaneously magnificent as a freshman sitting at the cool table, except more so.

The awards show was at a club last night. Their car was full going home, so one lady found a friend to take her home so that I could get a ride back.
They bought me pizza from the 24 hour bakery on the way home.
They let me hang around with their group all night at the show.
Even though I kept obnoxiously asking what was going on and apologizing for the gaps in my Italian, IT WAS AS IF I WAS ONE OF THEM.

I generally don't like to go out late, but I will if being out is fun enough (Madrid was). Last night was the first time I was out supah late in Rome because typically IES kids are just going to American bars in the center of the city, thus no thanks. Last night, I didn't get back until 3:30 and enjoyed myself the whole time because we were at a really authentic Italian place with cool people. I met two Erasmus students, one from Istanbul and one from Germany, that I hope to hang out with again.

Basically, as if it's not evident, studying is the least important part of studying abroad. That may change when I am at a real university in the fall, but for now, the best parts of my time here aren't related to  any of my classes or my friends from IES-- minus Carolina, the Italian girl I live with, who remains perfect. I plan to stay in touch with Carolina forever, so between her and the internship ladies, I've made some Italian friends. Unfortunately, Italian men creep me out for the most part, so England would have been the way to go had I been selecting based on husband-seeking opportunities. But alas, I would have chosen Ben's Cookies over humans every day anyway.

I already know I'm going to London when I'm abroad in the fall because Stephen Fry is performing as Malvolio at the Globe. Be still my beating heart.

Wait for me, Ben's Cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment